Submission Deadlines for Petitions to be Reinstated to the CoE
*Please note that these deadlines are not negotiable.
Current students (enrolled in the previous full term)
|Winter Term 2022||January 25, 2021|
|Spring Term 2022||Date will be indicated in Academic Standing Email|
|Summer Term 2022||Date will be indicated in Academic Standing Email|
|Fall Term 2022||July 1, 2022|
Non-continuing students (not enrolled the previous full term)
|Spring Term 2022||March 1, 2022|
|Summer Term 2022||May 1, 2022|
|Fall Term 2022||July 1, 2022|
|Winter Term 2022||November 1, 2021|
Steps for Petitioning for Reinstatement
- Complete a Petition for Reinstatement by the deadline above.
- Make an appointment with your academic advisor as soon as possible:
- Ensure that your transcript is complete and accurate.
- Check your record on Wolverine Access — if grades are not current or accurate, obtain signed letters from instructors indicating correct grades and attach to your petition.
- Make sure that your phone number and address is accurate in the University directory.
- The Scholastic Standing Committee must be able to contact you for appointments, decisions and additional questions. If the Committee cannot contact you, your petition will be withdrawn.
- The Scholastic Standing Committee will review your petition using the following guidelines:
- Your prospects for academic success
- The issues you identify as being barriers to your success and actions that you have taken to remedy the issues so they will not impact your future academic success
- Whether you met previous reinstatement conditions (if applicable)
- If it is determined that you must meet with the Committee, you will be contacted by the Scholastic Standing Committee staff to arrange an appointment. If a meeting is unnecessary, you will be informed of the Committee’s decision via mail and email.
- IMPORTANT: While your petition is pending, it is imperative that you attend all classes for which you intend to register, if your petition is approved. Additional documentation may be requested.
Keep in mind:
- If you fail to meet the petition deadlines indicated on your official notification of academic standing (mailed within three weeks following each term), you will forfeit your right to petition for those terms and you will be withdrawn from any future terms. There are no exceptions to this rule.
- Reinstatement is not automatic, and depends largely on a realistic assessment of your prospects for academic success. If personal issues are adversely impacting your performance, the Committee may recommend a temporary leave until the issues are resolved.
- If your enrollment has been withheld two times, you must take leave from the University for the next full academic term. There are no exceptions to this rule. If granted reinstatement at a later date, you will have a terminal term to meet your reinstatement conditions; otherwise, you will be permanently dismissed from the University of Michigan.
- To graduate, students must have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA and a 2.0 program GPA. It is a policy of the College not to reinstate a student who has taken all courses required for a degree, but does not have a 2.0 grade point average