Exceptions to College Rules

Q: Why would I need to petition?

You need to request an exception to the College of Engineering’s rules, as outlined in the Bulletin.

Q: Why would I need an exception to College rules?

If you have an extenuating circumstance you believe warrants altering the College rules. For example, if you need a pass / fail uncovered in order to graduate, or you need to adjust the amount of “in residency” credits you need to complete at the end of your degree. Extenuating circumstances must be fully documented, and you must meet with your advisor to explain your situation.

Q: Can I petition to waive degree requirements?

As a rule, the Scholastic Standing Committee will not alter degree requirements as they are defined in the Bulletin. In addition, academic degree requirements are governed by individual departments, not by the Scholastic Standing Committee.

Q: How will changes appear on my transcript?

After your record is adjusted, your transcript will reflect these changes without reference to your petition.

Steps for Petitioning for an Exception to College Rules

  1. Complete a Petition for Exception to College Rules.
  2. Members of the Scholastic Standing Committee will review your petition and make a decision. This generally occurs within four weeks of submission, except in the Spring and Summer terms, when response time is determined by faculty availability. The SSC will notify you of the outcome via email.

If your petition is approved, your academic record should reflect the decision within three weeks.

Keep in mind:

  • If you have questions about your individual case, please contact the SSC at [email protected].
  • Documentation is important! If you cannot document extenuating circumstances, it is unlikely that your petition will be approved.


Submit a Petition for an Exception to College Rules