Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What does it mean to be in Good Standing?

A: You are in Good Standing if your cumulative and term grade point average is at least 2.0.  If you were once on Probation or Enrollment Withheld and raised your GPA to at least 2.0, you will be Restored to Good Standing (both term and cumulative above 2.0).

**Note: Being restored to Good Standing does not erase your prior academic standings. Therefore, if your term GPA again falls below a 2.0, you will be subject to the next level of negative academic standing.

Q: What happens if my GPA falls below a 2.0?

A: That depends. Below are the following negative academic standings that can be placed on your record:

  • You are placed on Probation if you have a term or cumulative GPA below a 2.0 or your honor point deficit is below 10.
  • You are placed on Enrollment Withheld if you have an honor point deficit of 10 or more OR you are placed on Probation for the third time. (Petition needed)
  • You are placed on Enrollment Withheld Continued if you met your reinstatement conditions but were given more than one term for your CUM GPA to return to Good Standing. (Petition needed)
  • You are placed on Mandatory Leave if you are placed on Enrollment Withheld for a second time. With this, you are required to take a semester off from the University. (Petition needed)
  • You are Dismissed from the University if you are placed on Enrollment Withheld for the third time (Enrollment Withheld -> Mandatory Leave -> Dismissal)

**Note: All negative academic standings are indicated on both your official and unofficial transcript

Q: What do I do if I have a negative academic standing?

A: Most negative academic standings require that a petition for reinstatement be submitted for continued enrollment in the College of Engineering (see ‘What happens if my GPA falls below a 2.0?’).  If you are placed on any of these standings, you will receive an email notifying you of your status and providing you with instructions and deadlines for the petitioning process. It is your responsibility to ensure that you submit the petition before the respective deadline.  All questions and concerns regarding the petition process can be directed to [email protected].

Q: When do I have to meet with the Scholastic Standing Committee?

A: Students placed on Enrollment Withheld at the end of a term may not enroll in future terms without petitioning the Scholastic Standing Committee for reinstatement. The Committee reviews each petition, along with a recommendation from the student’s program advisor, and determines if a meeting is warranted.

Q: What are the conditions of reinstatement?

A: Conditions of reinstatement are specific criteria set by the student and the Scholastic Standing Committee. Failure to meet these conditions can result in a temporary leave or permanent dismissal from the College of Engineering.

Q: How does the Scholastic Standing Committee decide on Petitions for Late Drop and Exceptions to College Rules?

A: A Scholastic Standing Committee faculty member and staff member review these petitions on a weekly basis. They are decided on their own merits and do not require a personal meeting with the Committee. Petitions may be turned in at any time, provided that supporting documentation is attached. Students should expect to receive the Committee’s decision via email within four weeks of submittal. The Registrar’s Office will process any changes to the academic record as a result of the decision.

Q: What are the academic rules of the College of Engineering?

A: Academic rules may be found in the College of Engineering Bulletin

Q: Who do I contact about the status of my petition?

A: Contact Scholastic Standing Committee administrator via email at [email protected]

Q: Who can I talk to for more detailed questions about the Scholastic Standing Committee?

A: You can contact Scholastic Standing Committee administrator regarding questions via email at [email protected]